This is Day 28 of 28 Days of Building Fierce Loyalty. Sadness! Yesterday, Barry Moltz and Becky McCray gave us the inside skinny on how to use “local connections” to build Fierce Loyalty. I’m already implementing things I learned! Today, I am super excited to share my friend and online gaming geek, Jeremie Miller. If there were ever a fiercely loyal community out there, it’s the gaming community. Read on to discover what we can learn from them about building fierce loyalty!
Learning about Community from Online Games
By: Jeremie Miller| @Jeremie Miller
Jeremie’s Timeline of Online Gaming Geekiness:
- : Participated in a play-by-mail gladiator fantasy role playing game. You mailed in your moves. Your opponent mailed in theirs. A geek in California decided who won and mailed you back the results. One fight a month. Snail mail.
- : Called into bulletin boards and played Dungeons & Dragons via message board posts. One text post a day. 0.3 kbps phone line modem.
- : Played in a MUD (Multi User Dungeon) with 50 other players. Text based real time action. 9.6 kbps phone line modem.
- : Played Ultima Online, one of the first MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games), with hundreds of players. 2D graphic real time action. 56 kbps phone line modem.
- : Played Everquest, another MMORPG, with thousands of players and a built in social system of groups, guilds, and chat. 3D graphic real time action. 250 kbps cable modem.
- : Playing Star Wars: The Old Republic with thousands of players and a built in social system of groups, guilds, chat, and community forum. 3D graphic real time action. 25000 kbps cable modem.
How does this timeline help us learn about creating fiercely loyal communities?
I could tell you what I think it shows us, but that wouldn’t be very interactive now would it. I would like to invite everyone to interact with today’s post in two ways:
- Post any ideas about community building that pop into your head from looking over the timeline and we will discuss them here.
- At 1:00 PM PST this afternoon join me at
- and I will talk about my takeaways from the timeline and answer your questions live.
Five years ago Jeremie Miller and his wife Ashlea quit their jobs and sold everything to move to their dream location in the beautiful mountains of Rossland British Columbia to raise their son Fionn. Now Jeremie combines a long time love of online gaming with his experience as a teacher, and training as a Certified Professional Coach, to help innovative business owners navigate the strategies, technology, and costs of expanding the reach and impact of their work to a global audience. You can learn more about taking your work to a global level at www.youreventwithoutborders.com
P.S. TOMORROW! I have a super special bonus post that you don’t want to miss – especially if you are ready to put fierce loyalty to work in your business.
P.S. Just in case you missed my announcement about my only live coaching retreat in 2012, you can catch up on the details (like there are only going to be 10 people there) and grab your seat here: http://www.escaping-mediocrity.com/entrepreneur-expedition-live-retreat/