This is going to be hard. I am a serious multi-tasker and I make a TON of phone calls in the car. But I also know that cell phone use for calls and for texting while driving is creating serious safety issues. Of course I just think it’s the other guy who’s the problem, not me.
That’s what we ALL think.
So today, I am going to be part of the solution. I’m joining Oprah’s No Phone Zone Movement that is launching today. My phone is going in the glove box when I get in the car so I’m not tempted to answer it or even check it while I am driving.
Need some statistics to convince you that our cell phones and driving don’t mix? Here you go:
- Every single time someone takes their eyes or their focus off the road – even for just a few seconds – they put their lives and the lives of others in danger. Distracted driving is unsafe, irresponsible and in a split second, its consequences can be devastating. ~ U.S. Secretary of Transportation, Ray LaHood
- New research findings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that show nearly 6,000 people died in 2008 in crashes involving a distracted or inattentive driver, and more than half a million were injured.
- On any given day in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
- Across the board, federal researchers who have directly observed drivers of all ages found that more and more people are using a variety of hand-held devices while driving – not just cell phones, but also iPods, video games, Blackberrys and GPS systems.
- In particular, cell phone use for talking and texting is now more prevalent on our nation’s roads, rail systems and waterways, carrying a dangerous potential for accidents.
For our safety and the safety of those we love, we’ve all got to be part of the solution. Here’s what you can do:
1. Put your cell phone in the glove box while you are driving. Get temptation out of reach!
2. Check out the No Phone Zone Causes Page = www.causes.com/nophonezone
3. Sign the No Phone Zone Pledge – http://apps.facebook.com/causes/petitions/455
Let’s help safety on the road escape mediocrity today, ok?!